Wednesday 9 December 2015

Review: Life and Death by Stephanie Meyer



Title/author: Life and death by Stephanie Meyer
Originally published/ year published: October 2015 by Atom
Genre: Fantasy, young adult
How I got this book: bought
Why I read this book: I've been a twilight fan for many years, I had to read this one as well. 
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Celebrate the tenth anniversary of Twilight! This special double-feature book includes the classic novel, Twilight, and a bold and surprising reimagining, Life and Death, By Stephanie Meyer.

Packaged as an oversize, jacketed hardcover 'flip book', this edition features nearly 400 pages of new content as well as an exquisite new back cover art. Readers will relish experiencing the deeply romantic and extraordinary suspensful love story of Bella and Edward through fresh eyes.


Review:
Oh my, I just can't believe Stephanie Meyer made this. It actually is very good. I immediatly fell in love with Beau and Edyth (also I've never seen the name written like that). 
In the book Meyer swapped the characters, Bella is a boy named Beau and Edward is a girl named Edyth. Twilight always has been seen as the ultimate girls book because Bella was the 'weak' one, but in this book Meyer made very clear Bella wasn't weak, but actually a human in distress in the world which is a secret supernatural one. 

The characters as I said were the same as in the old book, nothing was changed, only their sexes. Bella's (Beau's) parents Charlie and Rene stayed the same, all the others changed gender. Doctor Cullen (carlisle) became Carine and her husband became Earnest. Carine had more of a storyline than Carlisle had in the original twilight book. 

The gender swap at first made me a bit confused, I was stil in the Bella and Edward story but soon I adapted and reading went really good. Meyer has written the book with an alternate ending, one I personally didn't see coming. Some parts she also left out, like the Jacob part , in the book Beau (Bella) only met the girl version of him only once properly. 

Alice was changed in Archie. He was way cooler than Alice was and that was a bit of a bummer for me. I just loved Alice's character so much! Jasper was Jessine and well, she was totally different than he was. She kinda had her own part in the story. 

I always have been a huge fan of twilight and thought this book might make enjoy the books less, also I expected maybe I wouldn't like this book. After having read the book I can say that it totally matched my overall expecation and that Meyer did her job more than well. 

I do think when you go into the book as a diehard twilight fan and recently having read the original books you might not enjoy it. The book really needs to be read through with another mindset than the original twilight books. 

There of course also were parts I didn't like that much. Because of the alternate ending Charlie and Rene were kinda left in the dark, which in my opinion I think was really sad and Beau just didn't seem to care that much.. Earnest didn't have a proper part in the book as well which I would have enjoyed. Beau's (Bella's) friends also had a smaller part in the book and Jacob you didn't read about much at all. I would have liked the old love triangle to be back. 

I overall really enjoyed this book and the book was just nicely written. therefore give it 4 out of 5 stars. 



No comments:

Post a Comment