Wednesday 14 October 2015

Review: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs



Title/author: Hollow city by Ransom Riggs
Originally published/ year published: january 2014
Genre: Fantasy, historical
How I got this book: bought
Why I read this book: I read the 1st book in the trilogy and just absolutely loved the idea of the peculiar world
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the 1st book ended. Having escaped miss peregrine's island, jacob and his new friend must journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. Along the way, they encounter new allies, a menagerie of peculiar animals, and other unexpected suprises. 

Review 
So, I finally finished 'hollow city'. I can't believe how much time it took me. Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children I enjoyed so much but this book, I couldn't get in. 

Again the story is about the boy, Jakob. He still is with the peculiar children and has sworn to save miss Peregrine. When she got turned into a bird the peculiars did everything they could to save her. They met new people and spent time to look for miss Wren because she'd know how to turn miss peregrine back. When being caught by the hollows they escape and try to travel to London to find miss Wren. When they arrive and she tries to turn back the bird something happens she nor the children had expected. It turned out the bird wasn't miss Peregrine but one of the hollows, and they get imprisoned. 

As usual, the pretty photos are really great! You get a nice idea of how the children look like and how weird they actually are. It is really nice the story and book have so many details, it keeps you in. Which in my opinion is the purpose of books in general :) 

There also were some things I didn't like.. The constant running in this book, like, you can't run for almost 400 pages can you? It kinda became boring to read they again got away from a hollow.. It happens so many times in the book it made me feel like: ughh oohhh here they go again... Also the idea of meeting other peculiar children but not properly adding them to the story. I don't know, I thought I would have enjoyed the book more. Maybe my expectations were too high? 

I hope i'll enjoy the last book in the trilogy more. Probably because I have been in a huge reading slump, I've enjoyed books less than I should have. 
Well, let's hope the next book will be an amazing read! 


No comments:

Post a Comment